Launch of Season Two of the Nature’s Treasures Photo Competition
WildlifeDirect is launching Season Two of the Wildlife Warriors Nature’s Treasures Photo Competition on August 1st, 2020, and is now inviting nature lovers, amateur and professional photographers from anywhere in East Africa; Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, and Rwanda. The Photo Competition is running for twelve (12) weeks. Every two weeks will have a different theme; a total of six (6) themes throughout the season.
Season One of the Wildlife Warriors Nature’s Treasures Photo Competition was launched on March 17th, 2020 as an incentive for Kenyans to go outdoors, observe, document, and share their love for nature. A total of 1051 incredible photos were submitted from 246 different photographers in Kenya.
This is the perfect opportunity to test your photography skills and capture nature’s treasures from your home, garden, city, national park, forest, or reserve near you. Entrants are encouraged to not only use a digital camera but also their mobile phones. We have a special Junior category for young people 15 and below.
WildlifeDirect is also excited to partner with Conservation Through Public Health, Gorilla Conservation Coffee in Uganda, Tony Wild who is supporting the Junior Category – Runner Up, OGO – LAW who is supporting the Amateur Category – Runner Up, Diana Kisinga who is supporting the Junior Category – Winner, African People and Wildlife from Tanzania who is supporting the Amateur Category – Winner and Wildlife Clubs of Kenya.
The Judges for the Nature’s Treasures Photo Competition are;
- Usha Harish – Wildlife photographer and a safari planner based in Kenya
- Callie Broaddus – Wildlife photographer and conservationist based in Washington, D.C.
- Ananth Krishnamurthy – An amateur photographer with a passion for wildlife and wildlife conservation, based in the US.
- Week 1 and 2: Wildlife Portraits (August 1st to August 14th)
- Winners announced from August 20th, 2020
- Week 3 and 4: Wild Landscapes (August 15th to August 28th)
- Winner announced from September 2nd, 2020
- Week 5 and 6: Fins, Feathers, and Flowers (a non-mammal category) (August 29th to September 11th)
- Winners announced from September 16th, 2020
- Week 7 and 8: Funny & Cute Wildlife (September 12th to September 25th)
- Winners announced from September 30th, 2020
- Week 9 and 10: Humans Helping Nature (September 26th to October 12th)
- Winners announced from October 14th, 2020
- Week 11 and 12: Dramatic Wildlife (Wildlife in Action/Wildlife Behaviour) (October 12th to October 26th)
- Winners announced from October 28th, 2020.
- Professional Category
- Winner KES 5000
- Runner up KES 3000
- Amateur Category
- Winner KES 3500
- Runner up KES 2000
- Junior Category (Under 15 years)
- Winner KES 2000
- Runner up KES 1000
Winners will be contacted via email or/and telephone once the judging panel has decided.
How to enter
Competition entry is FREE and entrants can enter up to three photographs. Entrants MUST submit their photographs through https://bit.ly/WildlifeWarriorsEA and include the following information;
- Photographer’s name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Category submitted
- Country of residence
- Location of photo
- Date photo was taken
- Caption (no more than 100 words)
Terms and Conditions
- Participants must be citizens or residents of Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, or Burundi.
- Pictures must be taken in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, or Burundi.
- Only 3 photographs per photographer per theme may be entered.
- Submissions must be made through https://bit.ly/WildlifeWarriorsEA
- Images can be taken by a camera or mobile phone
- Images entered must be in JPG format.
- All entries MUST be the original work of the entrant, and must not infringe the rights of any other party. The entrant must hold the sole copyright in all photographs entered.
- Junior entrants should be 15 years as of November 30th, 2020.
- No image should be submitted on behalf of others (except for entrants under 18 years of age)
- The detail of the photograph should not be altered
- Please provide a Caption, description of the subject being photographed, location, equipment used, your inspiration in taking the photograph, and why you chose the photograph for the category of submission.
- No watermarks in the image. The photographer’s name to be mentioned separately.
- No wildlife or habitats should be abused, put at risk, or unduly disturbed in the process of taking photographs
- Entrants under 18 years of age MUST have parental or legal guardian consent before entering the competition.
- Photographs will be judged on overall impact, composition, originality, and technical expertise. Judges shall be a panel of professional photographers who will judge images according to these criteria. All entries will be judged anonymously and all decisions will be final. The competition is based on photographs entered.
- By entering this competition, photographers retain the copyright of any entered photos. Your entry into this photography competition constitutes your agreement to grant WildlifeDirect;
- A non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, and publicly display the photographs you submit to WildlifeDirect, for use in any media and at any venue, including but not limited to any WildlifeDirect publication such as annual reports, newsletters, website and social media platforms related to the Photography Competition, and to be used in WildlifeDirect promotions, including, advertising future photography competitions.
- The right to use your name and country of residence in any publication. We will endeavor to ensure that your images are always duly credited but do not take responsibility should your name be omitted.
- Employees of WildlifeDirect, the judging panel, promoter, and sponsors associated with this photo competition are not eligible to enter.
- WildlifeDirect reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants and to disqualify any entry that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- Submission of a photograph for the competition is taken as an agreement to abide by the above rules.