Work with Us
WildlifeDirect (WLD) is an internationally recognized as a high impact Kenyan based organization. WLD seeks to change hearts and minds and laws so that Africa’s wildlife endures forever. The mission of WildlifeDirect is to connect people to nature and wildlife so that they treasure it and act to conserve it. The strategy of WildlifeDirect is organized around two pillars of work: the first pillar is to change the narrative of conservation in Africa by producing African positive films, and developing the capacity of African storytellers. The second pillar involves creating a community of champions for nature through education and outreach in schools. We forge partnerships with schools and organizations to ensure access to our content, to train educators and mentors through creative experiential activities that leave children inspired, filled with curiosity, in action, with a true sense of agency and demonstrating results for nature conservation. WildlifeDirect is a bold and forward-thinking organization that achieves its goals through direct action and strategic partnerships. Our people are professional, bold, passionate, forward thinking and determined.
JOB TITLE: CONSERVATION EDUCATION COORDINATOR
Are you passionate about conserving Kenya’s rich natural heritage and empowering the next generation to be stewards of the environment? We have an exciting opportunity for a Conservation Education Coordinator to create an engaging in-school and outdoor conservation education program aimed at connecting children aged 6-12 to nature, fostering a love for it, and inspiring them to actively participate in its conservation.
This position offers a unique opportunity to make a lasting impact on Kenya’s conservation efforts by nurturing a generation of environmentally conscious and proactive individuals. If you are ready to embark on this rewarding journey and inspire young minds to cherish and safeguard our natural treasures, we invite you to apply.
The incumbent will provide leadership and oversight to the Education Department
- Program Implementation: Oversee the successful implementation of the conservation education program in schools, Wildlife Warriors Field Lab and other outdoor settings. Manage partnerships with schools, support teachers, educators, and relevant stakeholders to ensure smooth execution and maximum impact.
- Curriculum Design: Develop a comprehensive and age-appropriate conservation education curriculum for primary school children (ages 6-12). The curriculum should incorporate interactive and hands-on learning activities that instill a sense of wonder and appreciation for Kenya’s diverse ecosystems and wildlife that also gives children a true sense of agency. Design, develop and produces training information materials for the partners.
- Outdoor Learning Experiences: Organize and lead outdoor excursions to national parks, wildlife reserves, and natural habitats. These experiences will provide children with direct exposure to nature, fostering a deeper connection and understanding of the environment paying particular attention to quality and needs especially children with extreme attention to detail and sensitivities
- Creative Resources: Develop and produce engaging educational experiences and materials, including nature trails, interactive games, videos, books and learning aids, to enhance the learning experience both inside the classroom and during outdoor activities.
- Community Engagement and Outreach: Expand our network and work closely with local schools, institutions, and communities to build support and involvement in the conservation education program. Foster positive relationships and collaborations to create a shared sense of responsibility for protecting Kenya’s natural resources.
- Evaluation and Impact Assessment: Continuously evaluate the effectiveness of the program through feedback, surveys, and assessments. Use data-driven insights to make improvements and measure the program’s impact on children’s attitudes towards nature and conservation. Produce reports.
- Training and Capacity Building: Conduct training sessions for teachers, educators, interns, volunteers and program facilitators to ensure effective delivery of the curriculum and outdoor experiences. Manage volunteers’ program.
- Networking and Partnerships: Develop, expand and maintain strong networks and partnerships with conservation organizations, NGOs, and government agencies to leverage resources, expertise, and support for the program’s expansion and sustainability.
- Responsible for managing safety and security risks for all stakeholders and project staff involved in the education programs including conducting and documenting regular risk management.
- Ensure effective management and security of all education assets of the organization.
- Ensure compliance with all legal requirements for any program activities
- Develop a 3-year strategic plan for the Department
- Develop work plans and budgets for the Department aligned to the strategic plan
- Management of annual budget for the Education program
- Develop excellent relationships with schools and government agencies, major donors etc.
- Preparing fund raising and development needs conducting fund raising to meet strategic goals
- Conduct regular reviews of programs, activities and department staff to address problems and to identify areas of improvement on the education outreach program
- Preparing briefs for the Board, donors and stakeholders
- Preparation of program reports for donor and as required by the CEO
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Environmental Education, Conservation Biology, Ecology, or a related field.
- Minimum five years’ experience
- Proven experience in developing and implementing educational programs for children, preferably in the conservation or environmental sector.
- Proficiency in computer software for curriculum design and creative resource development.
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Utmost integrity and attention to detail
- Passion for wildlife conservation and connecting children to nature.
- Ability to travel frequently within the region and occasionally beyond
- Strong communication and presentation skills, with the ability to engage and inspire young minds.
- Knowledge of Kenya’s ecosystems, biodiversity, and conservation challenges.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your passion for conservation education and relevant experience to email@example.com. Application deadline: September 13, 2023.
#ConservationEducation #KenyaWildlife #NatureForChildren #ConservationChampions #EnvironmentalEducation #JoinTheMovement